Monday, December 16, 2013

Eight Months!

We've been out eight months today.  It's hard to believe we have less than a year left.  We are enjoying St. Lucia.  It is a beautiful Island and the Branch members are so warm and loving.  It's hard to believe that it's almost Christmas.  As I said before, after being in snow for every Christmas, the season is different without it.  I kind of miss it.  We attended a baptism early this morning at the beach.  Some of the members came with jackets and sweaters and I was in a short sleeved shirt.  I asked them how they could be wearing such warm clothing and they said they were freezing.  They even said their cooking oil freezes. Believe me when I say it doesn't freeze over here.  I think what they meant is that their oil hardens instead of being melted all the time.  I did singing time with the Primary today and asked if any of the children had seen snow.  All except for one had never seen snow before. Of course, we had to sing "Once Their Was a Snowman".  It was fun being with the Primary children.  

Elder and Sister Gartz left last Saturday, so we have this Island to ourselves as the only Senior Couple.  It is fun getting to know the members and working with them.  Our time is split between the Vieux Fort and Castries Branches.  They are both small and I feel they appreciate our help.  My time is spent teaching music in the Primary.  I have also been asked to teach Seminary.  They are doing home study Seminary, so I will teach it once a week. They are out of school for the holidays, so I will start Seminary the first of the year.  I'm excited about this.  It's been a long time since I've had any teaching assignment in Church and a long time since I have worked with they youth.  They are studying "The Book of Mormon".  I am also teaching piano to a young girl.  I hope to get more students.  Elder Gubler and I are hoping to be very busy in St. Lucia.

Last Monday we spent the afternoon with Sister Simone and her daughter, Christine and granddaughter, Carrise.  Elder Gubler the computer whiz set up their computer with a Magic Jack and also set them up with email accounts.  He showed them how to use the internet.  He searched out their names and pulled up some information on Christine.  She was so excited. Carrise, the granddaughter was familiar with facebook, but Elder Gubler taught her a few more things.  We enjoy helping the members and visiting with them.  They love the Missionaries.

We are planning a Christmas party for the Missionaries on Christmas Eve.  We want to go caroling and have a dinner afterwards.  It all depends on whether we get our van or not if we go caroling.  It is in Castries and we've seen it.  It's even been paid for.  We are waiting for a waiver of Custom fees from the Government.  So, who knows how long that will be. 

We hope that you all enjoy this Christmas Season.  We're thankful to be serving the Lord by doing this great Missionary work.  



Overlooking Soufriere.
Pitons are tall mountains.


A view of a dormant volcano near Soufriere.


Soufriere


Beautiful coastline of Gros Islet


Another view of our apartment.  We live
at the bottom.


Our humble Christmas tree.


Kitchen


Living room


Bedroom 
    
  



  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment